Calcutta Photo Tours
This tour takes you behind the scenes of one of the most aesthetic and beautiful religious festivals in the country, the Durga Puja and Kali Puja. The tour includes a visit to the traditional potters’ quarters. The history of these quarters dates back to the British Raj.
They were forced to move to the north part of the city after the East India Company decided to develop a new settlement and districts for their workmen. This is where these talented craftsmen blow life into clay and make the idols of celestial beings with detailed and sophisticated inlays. This is not only the source of idols for the city, many of their works of art are exported as well. The occasion of Durga Puja becomes grander with each passing year, making this profession one that is highly sought after. It is often categorised as one of the seven wonders of Calcutta and cannot be missed.
- Visit the settlements of the potters and clayworkers of Calcutta.
- Get a detailed insight into their work, livelihood and all other aspects of their life.
- Offers excellent opportunities for clicking social media worthy photographs.
- Local Snacks
- All entries
- 3 Hours
- It is advisable to wear comfortable clothing and footwear since there is a decent amount of walking involved and the neighbourhood could be dirty and slushy.
- Only carry equipment that is absolutely necessary and you are sure you can take care of.
- Most of the time will be spent observing the river ghat and the lives and work of the artisans, busy in creating the world famous idols.